6.20.2013

Anais Mitchell - Making The List

Maybe it's because I feel like an old soul sometimes and I've pinned that on her, too.  It's like she has this vintage style with mannerisms of a little girl.  She has this raspy whisper that crescendos into an elegantly soft but powerful tone to in her voice.  I've done nothing but try to learn the lyrics as quick as possible so I can sing along.


Off of her album Young Man In America, my favorites (must I pick just a few...) include "Coming Down" because I love a good piano ballad.  Not only that, there's an incredible male/female duet thrown in there.  I really love this performance of the song sans piano that I found, though.  She is a beast at guitar, as is the fellow singing with her.  I believe it is Jefferson Hamer who shares the spotlight on her latest album, which I have yet to hear, Child Ballads.

My mother would love "Winderland" as much as I do, for it's tribal flutes and spiritual harmonies.  I really started enjoying the folk aspects of her music and then I heard this song and tumbled head over heels.  The video I linked is acoustic, so if you can go find the album version I strongly advise it.


Losing myself deeper into research, I discovered this YouTube video of Mitchell performing "Tailor" with music producer Michael Chorney.  It's absolutely lovely.  I'm infatuated with her messy hair and red cowboy boots.

Needless to say, she ranks right up there with Regina Spektor, Tori Amos and Kate Nash for me.  The types of female artists who write their own songs and sing out of tune when it's warranted.  Here's to wishing I'd played guitar and tried out singing for a career.  There's always tomorrow..


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to hear from you!