8.18.2014

Forward Motion

"To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often."


I wear this phrase around my wrist these days and it is the perfect reminder to always try new things.  Since I have been in Alaska, I have experienced so many new things and met so many amazing people.  I feel safe here, now.  It's funny how it happened, really.  I thought that I would feel foreign or fearful of strangers, when in reality, I feel welcomed and comfortable in this place.  Skagway is certainly a one of a kind town when it comes to the overwhelming sense of community.  


This is a small town with big characters and big hearts.  You meet people, knowing you will only be near them for a short period of time and get to know them even faster because of that.  The fact that people in this town come from all over the place to work for the summer has opened my eyes to even more places to visit and explore.  


I could not be happier with my decision to come here.  As the summer is slowly winding down, I'm reminded again of my inability to stop time; to force things to stay the same; to halt change. But within that realization is a glint of hopefulness for my future travels.  I am anxiously anticipating visiting friends in their own home towns and learning even more about the people who have reserved spots in my heart forever.


People change me.  New friends.  New perspectives.  New horizons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to hear from you!