4.18.2014

Leaping

I'm standing on the edge of a cliff today.  I look far down into a dark, choppy thing that looks more like a solid than what I know is water.  Water that will engulf me with one leap and take my breath away.  I'm hesitant, allowing the doubts to fragment the enthusiastic bursts of courage. The longer I linger, fear seeping in, the atmosphere changes.  There's a storm cloud above me now, dropping slowly at first.  I feel it welling up within me and then the bottom falls out.  The tears come cantankerously, like hard raindrops, rapidly beating onto the ground.  They are uncontrollable now, despite my efforts to restrain them.  I don't know what is worse, holding them, quaking at my eyelids or letting them flow.  And, undeterred by this cloud, I can see a glow in the air surrounding me.  I know there is light within this tiny sorrow, yet I cannot dismiss the fog.

I am embarking on a journey tomorrow that will change my life in ways I cannot, now, imagine.  I will be alone.  I am leaving all of my family and all of my friends to explore new horizons.  The excitement is overwhelming and frightening and joyous all at once.

Today was full of gloomy showers in my small part of this world and it couldn't have been more fitting for my emotions.  Between the showers, there were small rays of light and then another wave of pelting rain would surround me.



I am doing my best to laugh and imagine what is beyond the sad goodbyes because I know I will be back with the people I already love soon enough.  I am looking forward to the new souls I am sure to meet and hoping that this plunge that is making my insides leap about will be the start of many climbs and leaps in the future.

My life, lately, has been filled with tearful departures and warm hellos.  It gets harder leaving people after losing others for good.  I imagine dreadful scenarios in which certain goodbyes could be my last.  I'm training my mind to acknowledge these thoughts, but tuck them away, knowing that tomorrow could bring any sort of terrible or, better yet, a number of amazing things.  Learning to see the light through the fog is one of the hardest lessons to understand, but most important, I think.  We are all destined for darkness at some point.  Accepting this and using it to our advantage is the only way to fight the sorrow.

So, here I go.  Setting my own example.  I'm not depending on anyone to push me from behind (although, I believe, sometimes, this would be easier).  I'm bracing myself and the fall is becoming more and more real, as goosebumps creep up, through my skin.  I'm spreading my arms, wide, away from my body and then far above my head.  Knees bent, toes tipping from the edge.  I'm leaping.  I'm diving.  I'm anticipating the impact and embracing the flipping in my gut.  So, here I go.

3 comments:

  1. I am so very proud of you! Your words are encouraging for all of us who love you. I am sure you will hit the water with the same grace and beauty you have your whole life! Now, call me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so inspiring. I can feel every emotion while reading this and it makes me want to take chances and leaps of faith to do what I love. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I am so happy to hear that because I too often feel like I don't know what I'm doing sending these writings out into the world. Your comment is very much appreciated. :)

      Delete

I am always happy to hear from you!