2.10.2016

Wanderlust and Trust


Getting out of my comfort zone was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.  I was blessed with a sense of independence and confidence that allowed me to venture across the country all on my own accord and schedule.  The mental struggles that coincide with this sort of decision can be daunting, though.  Questioning my ability to financially sustain myself, fearing the unknown of any number of scary situations (being kidnapped, stuck on the side of the road or sex trafficking to name a few that seem outlandish, but are a reality in our world) and the overall health of my family during the time that I will be gone away from them are just a few monsters that I have to mentally feed when deciding on my next venture.  

I am constantly reminding myself not to live in a hypothetical world.  If I allowed these fears to overcome my true wishes, I would never leave my house.  Thankfully, after a bit of solo traveling and plenty of soul searching, I have come to realize that I simply cannot control every tiny aspect of my presence.  Instead of harping over the infinite possibilities for harm or sadness in my life, I try very hard to think positively and choose excitement over fear.  I look forward to the inevitable unexpected beauty or generous stranger that I may encounter.  

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times: people are much nicer than you'd expect.  Especially when you're traveling.  I have experienced "southern" hospitality all over the United States.  And when I didn't have a nice stranger to talk to, I thoroughly enjoyed the time alone at an airport or bus terminal.  A crossword is my favorite companion on long trips and I've made many a friend in an adjacent seat to help me with them, too.

To anyone who also struggles with those monsters in their minds, remember the times you heard a bump in the night or a scratch on the window that turned out to be nothing more than a creak or a tiny, nonthreatening branch.  Remember that if you do not take chances, you have no excuse to worry.  If you do take them, though, you will realize that most of those worries are simply figments of your own very creative, fascinating imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always happy to hear from you!